Sunday, January 27, 2013

Observation: Best Friend?

Lately I have just been watching people around me. Professors, family members, parents, friends, friends family members, children, and even strangers. As I watch them different thought enter my mind, like "I wonder what kind of parents you grew up with," or "do you and your best friend hang out all the time?" or "I wonder how often you get lonely," or "who is your best friend?" or even "are they happy with their job."

These are all questions I am asking myself, and want to know who all around me may be feeling the same way. And I am coming to the conclusion that most of the people around me are lonely and want to hang out with friends more, but yet no one does much about it. We are suppose to live in community together with each other.

As I look at the best friend groups around me, most of them are always together. They are literally living life together. Some of them have a life outside of each other and others do not. Some of them live together and so do not. So what do it mean to be someone's best friend? Why does this matter? Do we need a best friend? Do all the friends around you have best friends? Do they take pride in their best friend? Do you take pride in your best friend?

 These are all question I've been struggling with because my best friend is a part of me and that is okay to me, yes I think it is healthy to have a life outside of them but I value the time spent with her and I cherish her. Why because time after time she has shown me that she cares about me. We teach each other things, we laugh, we cry, we are goofy and we have inside jokes. We are living life together.

Now what if someone came in and said that we couldn't be best friends any longer, or what if someone came in and said you can't hang out when you want you can only hang out two days a week or a max of 6 hours a week together. When every other friend group around is doing fine and living life together and what not, and all you want is your best friend back in your life. That would be hard right?

What would you do? Just let it be? Fight for the other person? A best friend is okay to have, I think. I think it is a healthy thing to have. But that is just me. What do you think? Have you have ever thought about it? Who is your best friend?