Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Your roots...your identity...

Where are you anchored? Where are your roots deeply tied into? What has you more than you have it?

Today I read this on my friends Facebook status "If you can't get rid of something you don't own it, it owns you." 

When we look at our roots, we can see where we find our identity. What we stand on. What are you standing on?

Being back in the real world, I realized that I was finding my identity in my best friends and in a job title. I lost my identity in the Lord completely this summer. You could say I walked away from Him, because I found my comfort and my value in my friends and in my job. After a friend and I had gotten in a big fight, I realized that I put almost all my eggs into one basket, and I found my pride in my job and stood on that with pride and dignity. 

I was lost this summer, but didn't really even realize that I was because I was okay in the world, but when I came back to my world I realized that I have my feet rooted in nothing. The things I was and still am rooted into can not give me what I need. They can not give me enough love to fill me up and then give me joy on top, they can not give me a solid ground, but instead they can both hurt me by leaving me/losing them.

I was lying to myself. Lies like "I am so freaking cool, I get paid to surf all day." " I wonder if I'm as important to her like she is to me" "If I wear this or act this way, maybe he will pay more attention to me" "I have to be a good role model so I get noticed" All these little thought over took my mind and had power over it. I had worldly pressures of finding a boyfriend and being the best camp counselor so all my kids would remember me. I was just so selfish, but didn't see it until I looked at what I was standing on. My own understanding.
 
Proverbs 3:5-6
Trust in the Lord with all your heart
    and lean not on your own understanding
  in all your ways submit to him,
    and he will make your paths straight.

I was not giving the Lord the credit for the opportunity He gave me. I took credit for everything and in return I came out prideful and hurt. 

 
The bible says to build our foundation on rock
"It is like a person building a house who digs deep and lays the foundation on solid rock. When the floodwaters rise and break against that house, it stands firm because it is well built." -Luke 6:48

Rock is strong. The Lord is our rock.
"The Lord is my rock, my fortress and my deliverer; my God is my rock, in whom I take refuge. He is my shield and the horn of my salvation, my stronghold." -Psalm 18:2

We are weak without Him. Where are you standing, where are your feet anchored into?

The symbol of an anchor is HOPE. What are you putting all your hope in?

Where is your IDENTITY