Thursday, September 27, 2012

Who's responsibility is it?

Have you ever heard the saying "it takes a village..."?

Have you ever had an injury that was so bad that you couldn't take care of yourself? Where some days it hurts even to just sit up in bed, or its painful to eat something because you've lost your appetite. Your parents have to help you go to the bathroom, and shower, and even drink that sip of water you need.

I had an injury like this senior year of high school, it sucked! I blow my whole right knee out, and had to have two surgeries performed it. I couldn't go to the bathroom when I needed to the first couple of days, because flexing the muscles to pick my leg up off the couch hurt too bad. So I had to call my brother or one of my parents to come and pick my leg up off the couch. I'm sure it got annoying, they had to stop what they were doing and come help me, they had to be a little selfless.


I'm a completive person and so I hated asking for help, and once I could do things on my own I felt like a free bird. Things started to look great, but then something was going on that we couldn't tell unless they opened me up, so we had to start all over again, back to using their time and effort, and I hated asking for help sometimes which of lead to me getting more hurt or breaking something, not asking for help always led to more trouble. Asking for help can be hard sometimes, but sometimes even when we don't have the words we have to try.

In the body of Christ we are one, we are a body made up of individual parts working together for something bigger. So when the foot gets hurt, the whole body is hurting. Everyone is drained and just hurting. The foot can not heal unless the rest of the body helps push nutrient and the correct things that is necessary for it to heal. This is the same for the body of Christ. When one person is hurting sometimes to have to give a little extra of yourself, so that they can get healthy.

And sometimes when that person (or part of the body) keeps getting hurt and you kind of roll your eyes and take a deep breath and just get tired of helping this person (or body part) out you do not want to fight for them any longer. But it is just like when I had my second knee surgery I still couldn't help myself. I still need the pople around me to help me and to be selfless more than other so that I could get to a point in my healing where I was okay, and could do things on my own. They had to be patience, but so did I.

Romans 12: 3-8 says:

"For by the grace given me I say to every one of you: Do not think of yourself more highly than you ought, but rather think of yourself with sober judgment, in accordance with the faith God has distributed to each of you. For just as each of us has one body with many members, and these members do not all have the same function, so in Christ we, though many, form one body, and each member belongs to all the others. We have different gifts, according to the grace given to each of us. If your gift is prophesying, then prophesy in accordance with your faith; if it is serving, then serve; if it is teaching, then teach; if it is to encourage, then give encouragement; if it is giving, then give generously; if it is to lead, do it diligently; if it is to show mercy, do it cheerfully."

So who's responsibility is it? It is yours. It is your responsibility to help that person out that just cant get well, that keeps getting hurt. The body has to work hard to stay healthy, so you better take a deep breath and be ready to help out and give a little bit of yourself. They never said being a Christian was going to be easy, but that it is going to be worth it.

Romans 12: 9- 18:

"Love must be sincere. Hate what is evil; cling to what is good. Be devoted to one another in love. Honor one another above yourselves. Never be lacking in zeal, but keep your spiritual fervor, serving the Lord. Be joyful in hope, patient in affliction, faithful in prayer. Share with the Lord’s people who are in need. Practice hospitality.

Bless those who persecute you; bless and do not curse. Rejoice with those who rejoice; mourn with those who mourn. Live in harmony with one another. Do not be proud, but be willing to associate with people of low position. Do not be conceited."

Will you help?