Friday, December 16, 2011

The unexpected LOVE.


 It is funny to me that as humans we expect so much out of ourselves and out of others. Why do we expect so much from people that we are the closest to, when those expectations of these people are the highest and we end up getting hurt or hurting them. We usually don't even realize that we have such expectations until they aren't met and that's when people get hurt.


 So when we expect to much we get disappointed and then we expect to little we usually just end up not caring.

But what do we expect? What do we want? We are constantly looking for earthly things to fill us. Whether that be a 4.0 in school, for the best athlete, or having the prettiest opposite sex in school, or the coolest friends. But when these expectations are broken and not met we turn to drugs, sex, acting out to be popular, changing our looks to fit in? What are we expecting of our selves and of others.Why does all of this matter?

Today my mother called me and ask me how my grades went this semester and she was disappointed that I received all B's on top of a high expectation that I had of a friend, I realized that I am not here to please others I am here to glorify God, but if I don't want to, I don't have to, because His expectation for us is nothing but to accept His gift. Yes He wants the best for us but that is not an expectation.

"Jesus replied: “Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.’ This is the first and greatest commandment. And the second is like it: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’ All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments."' Matthew 22:37-40

All we are expected to do is to love. To love like Christ loves us. "We love Him because He first loved us," 1 John 4:19.

These expectations that we hold on earth mean nothing, but why do they hurt so badly when it makes us feel not good enough. When the God of the UNIVERSE expects nothing of us but wants a relationship with his children. How special are we. How loved are we.

Don't let these earthly expectations break us or change us because we are good enough for our god.